Children are a blessing and a gift from the Lord.
Every child deserves a bright future—one of hope and opportunity. As Christians, we believe that human life is sacred, and that every child is a unique being, worthy of respect and dignity. Children are meant to be loved and cherished and to grow up in a healthy, happy environment.
We believe that every child has the right:
- To be treated with respect and dignity
- To receive responsible care and to be handled with kindness
- To be encouraged and nurtured emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually
- To have their physical needs adequately met, including nutrition, housing, and medical care
- To receive a good education that provides competence and empowers them to be self-sufficient
- To be taught good values and morals to guide them in life
- To learn about God’s personal love and care for them
- To be taught boundaries and self-discipline
- To be empowered to realize their full potential
- To be prepared for the responsibilities and challenges of adulthood
- To develop their individuality
- To be treated fairly and justly, without discrimination
- To be in a safe environment; to be protected from harm and danger
We believe that children are entitled to the best care possible, in an enabling environment where their needs—physical, educational, intellectual, moral, and emotional—are amply met. Children should receive a competent education that empowers them to become self-sufficient and prepares them for adulthood.
Safe from harm
Every child has the right to be protected from abuse and neglect of any kind, whether physical, emotional, sexual, or educational. We consider that the abusive treatment of a child is not only a crime, but a sin in the eyes of God. The Family International has a zero-tolerance policy regarding the abusive treatment of children, and will permanently expel any member who violates this policy.
Members are subject to the laws of their country of residence regarding reporting crimes of this nature to the appropriate authorities. The Family International is committed to the well-being of children and considers it the moral responsibility of any adult caring for minors to protect them from harm.
We believe that children should be educated to recognize and deal with potentially harmful situations, and instructed to communicate with their parents or other people responsible for their care. Successfully preparing children for life includes instructing them on safety and empowering them to discern and protect themselves from situations of potential harm.
Every child is precious in God’s eyes and deserves quality and responsible care, and to be loved, nurtured, protected, and enabled to develop their full potential.
Children are the world’s most valuable resource and its best hope for the future.
John F. Kennedy (1917–1963)